Thread: Canvas Cleaning

Unhappy Canvas Cleaning

Since I sold the houseboat I have to once again deal with canvas. At the end of the season the underside of the canvas (sunbrella) was kind of moldy. I've heard different methods over the years, but does anybody have any suggestions on cleaning it? Any ways to keep it from coming back? Also, what does everyone use for waterproofing?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantz View Post
    Since I sold the houseboat I have to once again deal with canvas. At the end of the season the underside of the canvas (sunbrella) was kind of moldy. I've heard different methods over the years, but does anybody have any suggestions on cleaning it? Any ways to keep it from coming back? Also, what does everyone use for waterproofing?
    Go to Sunbrella's web site.For stubborn stains and/or mildew http://www.sunbrella.com/cleaning/ma...ops-covers.php

They mention something about using diluted Clorox in some applications. Wash ( not machine ) the top with Woolite and spray it with 303 Fabric Protection.
    Last edited by Thalasso; 03-08-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Terry,
    Put cover in the laundry mat washing machine on gentle cycle, with a very mild detergent like woolite. Machine wash, and install on the boat to dry in place. You will need to waterproof the sumbrella afterwards. I use 303 fabric guard on any sumbrella product, as the manufacturer recomends it.
    Been doing this for years without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantz View Post
    Look here.
    http://www.sunbrella.com/cleaning/ma...ops-covers.php

Thanks guys. Gary, don't you have some special stuff for cleaning your eisenglass?

Thalasso,
    great link.
    Gsent,
    glad to see everyones on the same page.
    rare nowadays

i'm interested in the best way to care for the eisenglass as well
    Mark
    LIL BUGGY
    89 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250 5.7 Mercruiser
    94 Yamaha 700s jet ski
    88 Kawasaki js550

eisenglass does not go into the washing machine. I'm sure you knew that, just wanted to be clear. Yes, i have a product made in Ohio specially for the plastic. Let me know if you need some.