• Register

Default Mechanics in the City

My boat won't start and in the process of trying to get it running, I may have forked the starter. So, I am throwing my hands up and consulting a professional. By all accounts on this site, Frank at Peggy's is the best in the city, but they aren't taking people in til June.

Anybody know any other good ones? I read some really scary reviews about Pittsburgh Propeller Service.

Chances are that the fix is simple, so I want to find an honest shop.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States, 114943251851302, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Monty and Ed at Pittsburgh Boats are awesome. Very honest and good prices!

Thanks.

I have now called four shops. They are all booked til sometime in June. Wow.

If there ever was a time to open a shop, it is now.

Looks like I am going back to troubleshooting myself.

If you think it might be starter related have you tried installing a new starter?

Chuck

Well, it started as a typical post-storage starting problem and then the started started whining and grinding. So, now, I may have two problems. That was enough to consider a professional. But, now that I know that will be a pain, I am going to start trouble shooting.

The first step will be to take the starter out and see if I can figure out why it is screaming at me.

I'd take your starter to Kenny at PCM in Plum Boro.... I've had work done by him and is very reasonable. His shop is a mess but he really knows his stuff.

You could also have advance/autozone bench test it for free

If your starter is fine it might need shimmed. (might be to close to flywheel)

A bad ground, loose battery cables, or a weak/dead battery will fry a starter in no time

Good luck on a shop this is the busiest time of the year
    2007 Rinker 246 cc

Give Lenny a call at Millvale marina. 412-773-2150 He is a no BS, all business guy. He has done work for me for the past 3 years.

I had no idea loose battery cables could fry a starter. Good to know.

Thanks guys