Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Branchport 2012

Default Branchport 2012

Starting a current post RE: Branchport's status for 2012.
    Hoping for some valid info---not bashing/arguing over past experience etc....

I'm new to the boating scene and it looks like Branchport is the only marina that possibly has space available near the point.
    My research online revealed a tumultuous 2011 - with some docks not fixed until late June.

I think I'm willing to take a chance, but I want the boat in the water ASAP. Late May is really late for me.

Does anyone have any current info regarding plans/status....or constructive advice?

I was down there today.
    I spoke to Rich and he is trying to get Wayne motivated!

There are a few docks (10 - 15) on the end that are bent and therefore twisted into the water. Wayne is not planing to repair or rent these.
    The rest of the docks have been re-floated. 50% of them have been repainted and word is that Wayne plans to repaint the other half soon.

Wayne has cleaned up the broken Gazebo, and run down trailer.
    He is looking into adding the shower back. I would definetly mention that its a deal breaker when/if you call.
    Wayne is pretty old and needs convincing to do some work.
    Currently he is opening the marina may 15th. but If you tell him you need in earlier.. I am sure he can be convinced.

any other questions?
    ~ Justin

I would reccommmend that you pass on Branchport for now given time it might get better. Wayne has completely neglected the place for the last three years. The rumor is that he is having mental problems. The only reason that anything is being done at all is because some of the boaters got so disgusted with him that they went to Cassidy and asked them to interceede. Cassidy owns the land on the bathroom side of the marina. Under the penalty of losing the lease on the land Wayne was told to fix it or get out. If not for that it would be more of the same screw the boaters arrogance that has been going on there for the last three, four years. The docks were completely unsafe, even the 'useable' ones. There were hot wires hanging chest high off the poles as well as frayed hot wires in contact with the all metal docks. Wayne was told about it many many times and his response was fix it yourself. Hot wires on wet metal docks, to aviod electrucition that is what had to be done. The issue with the shower is a joke. 2-3 years ago someone left the shower running and it burned up the hot water heater. Back then Wayne and his girlfriend (she calls us fleas) abandoned the place every weekend so no one knew about it till it was too late. This response to the burned out heater was screw you it's too expensive to fix so no one gets a shower. If you look at some of the older posts you will see that the new hot water heater has been 'on order' for years. You can buy an on demand one at Home Depot for $150. More of the Wayne arrogance.

Rich, the other guy that lives there has been tring for years to get Wayne out of his house to fix up the place. It's not Rich's marina and it's not his money that will fix it. If not for the ultimatum nothing would be done now. To Rich's credit at least he tries. Since Wayne refuses to talk to anyone unless you have dock fees to give th him Rich takes a lot of the heat that should go on Wayne. Rich is basically an OK guy but by trying to defend Wayne he puts himself in a bad situation.

Now you can see why Branchport is the only marina that has space in the pool. A few years ago there were over 100 boats there. Last year there were less than 30. I was dumb enough to be one of them No Mas.
    Last edited by boatlarry; 05-01-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: entire message did not post

I appreciate the input and open to more...
    The fact that I'm just looking for a dock and dock only has me considering it still....but I am nervous.

I guess my next question is....how would one go about buying the place and making it a destination?

I would HIGHLY recomend Branchport Boat Club. I have been a member here since 2005. We were generally booked and on a waiting list for the longest time. Then, after 2009, with the economy and gas rising above $3 a gallon ($3.60+ on the water) some people in the region got out of the seaonal mooring routine to save a buck or so. Makes sense if you don't go out enough. But at Wayne's World (AKA Branchport, AKA paradise in the city) you will wish you had this type of marinia by your town up in Sharpsburg or McKeesport, or whathaveyou. Clean bathrooms, clean showers, green grass beach, firepit, bbq area, electrical hookups, and tons of parking.

Somebody has high hopes. Thats good though. At the same time I'm not holding my breathe. Lets face it. IF and only IF Branchport is semi operational this season. How long is it going to take til it goes back down the illegal $hitter?....AGAIN. With that being said. How can you possibly HIGHLY recommend Branchport(just saying FEAR). In my opinion everybody should leave the place and see how Waynes girlfriend (or whatever you want to call her) likes it when she can no longer get in Wayne pockets to afford all of the finer things in life.

JoeDCrew. Good luck my man. I wish somebody would buy it. Then it will be a paradise again. Because if Wayne kicks the bucket and the girlfriend gets the marina....The boaters might as well put their heads between their legs and kiss their a$$es and the marina goodbye for good.

P.S. Fleas pay the Cadillac XLR note and the mortgage payment.

It really is a joke to call it paradise like everyone said it was and then it went down hill fast! these small improvements he is making are good but how long will it last.

Appreciate the input and info.

Landed a slip at Station Square (supposedly the last available)
    A little more expensive (50.00/ft) but well worth it in my mind for dependable management.

BTW---any part of ownership calling the client FLEAS is unconscionable....that alone paints the picture in my mind.

Good luck this year-happy boating

Dude, tell me again what marina you are talking about. He hasn't had a waiting list for the last 15 years, with about 100 slips he has been lucky fill 80 up to the last 2 years when he got 60 then 30. I don't know anything about running a marina but I can count full slips and empty slips. If you have empty slips you don't put people on a waiting list. In fact the waiting list went away right after Wayne in his continued arrogance banned boater parties. The pristine bathrooms haven't worked right for years. The toilet in the men’s room leaks after the flush leaving a layer of fecal water on the floor most all the time till it evaporates then you can smell the breeze in paradise. It's never cleaned unless the boaters do it themselves. Oh yeah, and keep a roll on your boat because it's not stocked either. The ladies room is equally bad. The beautiful shower you speak of has no hot water for the last 3 years. At one point the fleas got so disgusted with him and her that they offered to buy and install the hot water heater. The offer was not only refused he immediately cut off the water hookups so no one could put one in without him knowing . Don’t know if it’s clean because it has been locked for a year. The grass beach was covered with mud until about July when the first blades of grass managed to break through. The head high weeds made a great habitat for the local wildlife. Keep you iPhone handy no one will believe the size of the rat that walked up and stole your steak. The same steak that you cooked on the mud filled grill with no burner or propane in the BBQ area. There are more blown battery chargers and, burnt shorted cables courtesy of Wayne. Tell him about it or ask him to fix it and see what happens after the Fbombs stop ringing in your ear. You got one thing right there is tons of parking. That happens when you have NO BOATS. For one of the more entertaining things in this private paradise, you need to be around when someone brings two cars into the parking lot. Even though there are 30 spaces available (there are always 30 spaces available) you can see Wayne carpet Fbomb you wife and kids for bringing the car instead carrying your stuff from the street. Forgot the fire pit, it was taken out because some pompous windbag decided that the ashes were burning his tarp. 10 boats on either side and closer to the fire no damage. After he was gone the boaters had to beg to get it back. I have one question, how much did you get paid for that amazing work of fiction. Dude, I see a Pulitzer in you future.

That's what makes our free market system so good, if one marina is not up to standards then another one opens where the displaced can go.

Personally I would not stay at a place where the owner takes such an attitude, but that's just me.

Chuck

OK this looks like too much fun to pass up. I docked there and the guy that said it’s a paradise has clearly taken too much advantage of Wayne’s friendly demeanor (really, his two favorite words are “HEY JACKOFF” usually followed by the carpet F-bombing) and leniency in allowing drinking at the marina. Honestly … the guy and his live-in girlfriend are personally responsible for many dozens of people getting out of boating. I probably know 50 or more personally. Most were friends that I met there and stayed friends with after they got out of boating because of Wayne. I could start to list the reasons but I have things to do this weekend.

Before I decided to get out of there prior to someone got killed from the faulty wiring, more damage was done to my electrical system, one of my guests or I contracted some infection from the pristine bathrooms, (really, what does your house look like of that’s clean), someone close to me fell off one of the unstable docks, OK enough.

Having been a landlord I contacted my attorney and asked him if the laws that govern renting a dock space are in any way similar to renting an apartment. Well they are. He tried a case a while back in Bridgewater where the marina owner, after a flood, didn’t do anything to fix or make the place safe but was still taking money for unsafe dock spaces. The owner’s case was the flood was an ‘act of God’ and he didn’t have to do anything. Well my attorney and the marina owner lost. The judge ruled that if he wanted to collect money the boaters had the right to put it in escrow and when the terms of the escrow were met he could get his money. That is exactly the advice my attorney gave me.

If you have not been there for the last few years, or you have been in a Rip Van Winkle state for the last 10 years and you are considering going there take some advice. Legal president is set, you don’t have to pay him until he gets the place right. That’s not going to happen as long as the current management is around.

If you want to contact my attorney I will be happy to provide the information

I didn't mean for that post to start a war on the place or anything. I don't know. I am a very easy going guy, low maintenance <20ft boat docked there. I can understand complaints from people that live on their boats such as cabin cruisers or haas boats that want reliable electricity and a working shower. Bathrooms have never not been clean. Saw HUGE rats last year, but its the Ohio River, what do you expect. I do admit Wayne is letting it slip but apparently hes dying or something?? I dunno. I am also only 26 with a long way in life to go so pardon me if it seems like paradise to me given my accomplishments thus far.

It all depends I guess how much you have to deal with Wayne and how much the dock rentals cost you. If the rentals are close to what you can get a nice marina with everything working, then I would go there.

I have no skin in this game, but I do know that you can find many good docks on the Pgh rivers.

I guess let the free market system rule.

Chuck

Looking forward to this threads contents on July 4....will either paint the picture of paradise in the burgh, or holy shit I cant believe I paid for this.....hoping for the former.

Well if it's anything like the past history with branchport, it will not be pretty.

Chuck

everyone has hit the nail right on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by obxpelican View Post
    That's what makes our free market system so good, if one marina is not up to standards then another one opens where the displaced can go.

Personally I would not stay at a place where the owner takes such an attitude, but that's just me.

Chuck
    lol...im still looking for the first Pittsburgh Marina the DOESNT think its customers are fleas...I know where I am, we're treated like "annoyances" not "customers"....

It's unfortunate that most of the complaints here ring very true. I docked at Branchport in 2010 and 2011, and it's become nothing less than dangerous there. Docks overturned, electrical lines loose, exposed, dangling from poles.

Hopefully the place gets turned around, but Wayne had little interest the last 2 years in just keeping the place functional, let alone making improvements. He has his health issues as I understand it, and for that the guy deserves some understanding...BUT - he still has responsibility to keep the place at least safe. As of today, the end docks across the bridge are still overturned, let alone the rest.

I'm done holding my breath. My hard earned money is goin to Peggy's this year... Good luck to all of you bravin it out at Branchport!

I do have one question, which dock is Branchport?

Chuck

Third marina down from the west end bridge on the right decending bank. Has a round brown house.